Keeping Your Furry Friends Safe on the Spookiest Night of the Year

There’s some very important information to remember on Halloween to keep your pets safe. 

Everyone knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, but there’s likely things people wouldn’t think twice about before giving to their pets. Take raisins for instance, they’re healthy for us, but can very easily cause kidney failure in dogs. Other things pet owners might not think about being dangerous to their pets may include candy wrappers, costumes, and even glow sticks!

What spooky treats are dangerous, and what should I do if my pet eats them? 

As I mentioned before, you should NEVER give chocolate to an animal. It’s very toxic, even in small amounts. Many candies and sweet foods also contain a sweetener called xylitol, which is poisonous to pets in high amounts. Pancreatitis is also something you should be aware of, as animals are susceptible to it if they ingest lots of sweets or candy. If you know that your pet has consumed candy and has a decreased appetite, is vomiting, has diarrhea, lethargy (a lack of energy and enthusiasm), and abdominal pain, you should consult your veterinarian or pet poison helpline immediately. Remember, this could be a matter of life or death for your furry friend. 

What if my animal gets into non-food items? 

We all know that yummy Halloween candy comes in pretty foil or cellophane wrappers, which aren’t only attractive to us, but also to our pets. Dogs may want to lick wrappers that are left sitting out, just in case you missed anything yummy (dogs are very helpful like that!) But that could lead to your pooch getting too excited and eating the whole wrapper, which could mean a bowel blockage, and probably an expensive surgery. The same goes for cats. Cats love foil and cellophane, and they love to chew on it. If you notice your pet is vomiting or having trouble going potty, you may want to get them checked out. It’s important to keep glow sticks away from dogs and cats as well. The contents of glow sticks are non-toxic, but have a nasty taste. If your pet gets any in their mouth, give them a snack to get the taste to go away, and remove any liquid from their fur (you probably don’t want a glow in the dark animal!) 

What are some other important safety tips I should remember in order to keep my pets safe on Halloween night? 

First of all, it’s probably a good idea to bring outside animals in, especially if you have a black cat. Plus you in general don’t want them getting spooked by all of the chaos and getting out of your yard. But when your pets do come inside, it’s important to have a plan in place to keep them from running out of your front door when trick-or-treaters come by. Dogs especially might not be fond of strangers in odd costumes coming to their doors. If you plan on going out for the night, you may even consider hiring a pet sitter, just so a friendly face is checking in on your pal. If you intended to put your fur baby in a costume, make sure they’re comfortable in it, that there’s nothing loose that they could ingest, and that it doesn’t interfere with any of their senses. Lastly, it’s very important that your pet has an ID tag on and that they’re microchipped, just in case they were to get out! 

Stay safe, and Happy Halloween from everyone here at Pampered Pups!